Friday, April 15, 2011

Emancipation Day-A Day of Empowerment

On April 16, 1862 President Abraham Lincoln signed The Emancipation Proclamation and and turned a page a in history as we knew it in America.

No longer were people allowed to be owned like cattle, they were given their basic human rights back, in theory. Though it would be  a long time coming, and unfortunately in some instances bigotry and hatred still prevail with those who still feel a certain sense of entitlement.

I do celebrate the abolishment of slavery, and observe Emancipation Day. I believe that all men were created equal and are thus granted certain inalienable rights. We have the right to be free from restraint. We have the right to freedom of speech. We have the right to breathe fresh air, and drink clean water. To be free from oppression. We have the right to love and be loved. We have the right to live.

I will not be oppressed. I will not let anyone hold me down again. I have the right to love and be loved. I am free in America, and I am Emancipated, Empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All opinions are respected and taken into consideration..Thank you...xx