Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cloth Diapers&The Garbage Barge

I am writing this for My daughter , who inspires me on so many levels. She is a a Full Time Social Work Major, pursuing her doctorate, she volunteers at the Local Rape Crisis Center, and She is also the Mother of My Beautiful Grandchild, whom I have affectionately dubbed "Princess Feisty Pants". Being a Mother in and of it's self is a full time job, the responsibilities are tremendous, as you literally hold the fate of an innocent child's life in your hands.
Recently My daughter asked me to write about the virtues of Cloth Diapers. My daughter has discovered an organic and healthy approach to parenting, and it has paid off. Princess Feisty Pants has grown from a tiny preemie, actually a micro-preemie in the NICU, to a Growing , Thriving,  toddler who is no longer underweight, and is well adjusted as well.
One decision my daughter made for her child and the future of her child was to use Cloth Diapers. I must admit that I was taken aback when she made this decision, and shame on me when I found out why she did. She also explained to me that they really are more cost effective. I did research this myself and below you will see the numbers.

*Health Standpoint
1. Disposable Diapers contain traces of DIOXIN. a carcinogenic chemical listed by the EPA as most toxic of all cancer linked chemicals.
2.Contain Tributyl-tin (TBT)  a toxic pollutant that causes hormonal problems
3.Contains Sodium Polyacrylate, a super absorbent polymer that turns into a gel when wet. A similar substance used in Tampons was revealed to increase the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome.

**Environmental Standpoint
1.Disposable Diapers are the Third largest consumer item in Landfills.
2. In households where Disposables are used, Diapers account for Fifty percent of their Waste.
3. It has been estimated that it can take anywhere from 250-500 years for a Disposable Diaper to Decompose.

**Price
Average price of Cloth Diapers are $24.00 a Dozen. The average baby will need approximately 6 dozen over a 2 year span. This comes to a total of $288.00.
Average price for Store Brand Disposable Diapers is $6.29 a box, now multiply this by 104 weeks and you get a total of $654.16

You can argue convenience if you like. You can argue, by the time I wash them, I will be spending more money on detergent and water than the diapers are worth. There are a million ways you can spin this, if you choose. 
 
I would rather have a vision of a happy healthy baby spinning through my mind, than the vision of The Garbage Barge circling a harbor in Islip, New York, because it has ran out of places to dump garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All opinions are respected and taken into consideration..Thank you...xx